Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New Haven! a newly founded town!  (Read 23783 times)
Shaman
Public

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 02:29:54 pm »

[ author=anoddhue link=topic=2391.msg17185#msg17185 date=1364220262]
I suggest building a railway south of town towards another biome. It's a few thousand meters away, but would probably be worthwhile.
[/]

I think the vacant lot beside my lot (the crazy tall cobble towers and public access railway to dragon's perch are mine) would be a good place to build a long-distance travel station.

I propose an underground canal instead of a railway because rails are expensive in terms of iron; and water is free.

I propose that a station be constructed at each of the 2 NPC villages south of NH which I have the coords for.

I also propose that all other biomes eventually have their own canal systems which link to one another like the US highway system; so that one need only to follow the posted signs to find their way to any city, settlement, or center of trade.

I propose that signs use a secret code and that all canals are built near bedrock to thwart potential vandals.

I propose that emergency kits be provided every 500 M along the routes which consist of: bread and extra boats in a chest surrounded by torches with a sign posted above the chest stating its purpose and asking that use of the chest be reported so that it can be refilled. The emergency box should be assigned an alphanumeric name for which written directions exist in the hands of those responsible for the particular section of canal.

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:21 pm »

I think an underground path would be great, my only concerns would be hiding entrances to that a "new" skilled griever player could not easily locate new haven with in a day or two of play.

But I love the  idea of more transportation, maybe lupecake can assist with secret entrances, he is really good at them.
Shaman
Public

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49:23 pm »

I agree... Though the entrance in NH is a simple brick structure on the south side of town, the spawntinent and trading post entrances should be built with a redstone mechanism hiding their entrances and perhaps have false entrances with piston suffocation traps (such as the one I just invented thismorning).

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
Shaman
Public

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 04:49:36 am »

We've made significant progress on the tunnel headed north and are well out to sea with it.

SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 08:31:08 pm »

New Haven Needs NEW PICTURES, It has flurished with lots of wonderful creations,
clean lines and "Sexy" as Arcanight would say.  We have shops in Townsquare, I have a mini-mall with shops available to rent, price 1-iron block, but you must sell something no shop keepers with no merch.  Thank you Aly14789 & Simon and I, who made the BOLD journey to New Haven, planting first feet on our new home soil!  We fought off monsters, and claimed these lands.  These were teh days when mere cobble was in high demand.  Thank you Vbelac & Commander for Dragon's Perch & Beacon, Fire & Ice Skyscraper, Shaman- What can I say other than, you are a work horse man- We have RAIL!!!!!! thankyou for your dedication to a vision, Simon-the-digger(especially Simon for his vision of the layout and hard work in building all the roads.  He is a digger!), BRAINLESSZOMBIE5 for an amazing outter wall, topnotch work!  I must mention the Lupecake & Lupecakee, and the amazing inovative Tree house.  So many impressive players and homes, Htergareth's Epic skyscraper, Byrcestrong's cool house,  and all the new settlers of New Haven without people it is not a town!
Shaman
Public

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 09:17:12 pm »

I haven't been there in a while... I'm about 200m north and 600m west of New Oasis digging a tunnel...

I need to go down there after some crazy track laying. I got a big project planned in NH. I'm gonna build a huge diamond and lava protected obsidian bunker and finish the Dragon's Perch Railway.

brainlesszombie5
Public

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 09:56:31 pm »

The wall has offically created the perimiter of NH so no more expanding and I'm gonna add a gate to the north, south, east, and west walls

A man like me just needs infinity
Shaman
Public

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 10:32:52 pm »

I've designed a massive MOB grinder which I intend to make the largest building in New Haven.

It will be public and include a rooftop tree farm.

My rail to Dragon's Perch Will become public and pass through a tunnel that will pierce the middle of the towering grinder. I'm not exactly sure how tall it's going to be, but you will have to go down a very long staircase to get to the item drop room at bedrock level. I will try to make it taller than my house, though I might run out of materials before it gets that tall. It will span both of my plots and be connected underground.

My previous grinders didn't work consistently because there wasn't enough player activity nearby. However, this build is different. A road runs over it. My house is inside it. A transit rail runs through it. A major transit rail runs next to it. A tree farm is on top of it. New construction is all around it. And finally: it will have a public utility room on the ground floor. This means that MOBs should spawn there pretty much constantly.

SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 06:42:32 am »

Brainlesszombie5, if you add a gate make sure you set group access to it and make simon, vbelac and myself have rights to modify incase you are not logged on.  Thank you for all your work looks great
Shaman
Public

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 01:53:04 am »

I'm having trouble imagining how bloody big this project is going to be when complete. I went a short distance away today to look at it... It's kind of imposing; and I'm not even done with the outer wall yet.

The workshop is incomplete, but what's there is functional; I just need to set it to public use.

I noticed a lot of MOBs running around town. There's a creeper crater next to a shop too. Whoever it is that owns it should probably fix that. Hopefully, people that aren't involved in 3 projects already will place some torches in the new section of town so that the MOBs won't spawn there and wander into town...

Edited to add:
Savanah's Golem is stuck in a creeper crater in town. I didn't disturb the area because I didn't want people to think I was griefing their plot. There's another creeper crater beside a shop. I suggest anyone with a shop in NH should go check on them to ensure the safety of their wares and prevent zombification of their enslaved villagers...

To the guy with the wooden house next to my build, severe lag created a river of lava down my wall on the outside. If you're gonna build a house out of wood, at the very least, put a bloody stone wall around it. The lava came within 2-4 meters of your house and I had to rush to the town center with a bucket to get water to put the darned pillar of fire out. It was bloody close. Thank your God(s) if any, that you didn't lose it in a blaze of glory.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:35:00 am by Shaman » Logged

vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 12:20:25 pm »

Assuming his house was at LEAST hand protected, lava wouldn't be able to do anything to it.

Stay Determined.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 08:36:48 am »

Auh Shaman nooooo.   I believe our mob problem is from this new creatation you have made in New Haven, as I always love your work, this one feels like a prison to me, and does not follow the building code for New Haven.  There are a few issues, one you are occupying techically 3 lots, I know we annexed back there and we left the lot alone for the LEGS only of your rail to dragon's perch, Not another building.  Expecially not a monster spawner built in New Haven!!  I thought you were building that on dragon's perch?  Please remove it, as it is the cause of the mobs in town and defeats the pupose of our great wall Brainlesszobie is building.  One lot please, please uncover the road, your rail was way up in the sky so amble light can get threw, and was not an issue before.  I post this with the utmost respect for all that you have done the RAIL is truly your gift to all the players and we really appreciate all of your cool designs and input and just you being you, so I hope I have not offended you in any way, as my intent is to just address what I see as an issue.  I am sure if you evaluate what is going on there you'll see what I am talking about, but with a lot more grace than I.  Thank you

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:51:28 am by SavanahMile » Logged
Shaman
Public

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 04:01:52 pm »

"Auh Shaman nooooo.   I believe our mob problem is from this new creatation you have made in New Haven, as I always love your work, this one feels like a prison to me, and does not follow the building code for New Haven.  There are a few issues, one you are occupying techically 3 lots, I know we annexed back there and we left the lot alone for the LEGS only of your rail to dragon's perch, Not another building. "

This was never specified beforehand. There was a sign stating that the land was mine.

"Expecially not a monster spawner built in New Haven!!"

Like the one you showed me yesterday?

"I thought you were building that on dragon's perch?"

There is already one there that barely works. Why would I build a second one in the place where the population is too sparse for it to work properly?

"Please remove it, as it is the cause of the mobs in town and defeats the pupose of our great wall Brainlesszobie is building."

None of the MOBs I've seen were near it. They were all either near the edges of the western or southern annexes, and the 2 creeper craters were in the middle of town, 2 blocks from my place. No MOBs have spawned in my spawner as of yet. And even if they had, there's no way for them to get out (there's even an internal lip to keep spiders inside). There's no rule against spawners in town or rules set for particular types of architecture. The top of the factory hosts a MOB-fighting ring that frequently spawns spiders and posesses nothing to keep them inside. I've died twice while passing by there, but haven't demanded that any action be taken as a result... You yourself possess a spawner within the confines of the city.

"One lot please"

The second lot was claimed on my behalf and without my input by the annexers. They could have just asked me to remove the pillars, but they gave me the lot instead. It can't be helped that a significant mine and walls over 40 blocks high already exist on the plot when you decide to protest its use. Shall we also restrict you to a single plot?

," please uncover the road, your rail was way up in the sky so amble light can get threw, and was not an issue before." 

The arch is very high and well-lit unless someone stole my torches. The road is unobstructed even when riding a piggy. I interpreted the "no building over the road" rule to mean not to obstruct the road by placing blocks directly on it. When I made the inquiry about the railway, this is how Intangir and I both interpreted the rule. I'll place more torches and reinforce them if it makes you feel better. The railway to Dragon's Perch is as high as it is because I was going over what would have become a high wall. Brainlesszombie preferred going over rather than through the wall. It's placement had nothing to do with the roads.

"I post this with the utmost respect for all that you have done the RAIL is truly your gift to all the players and we really appreciate all of your cool designs and input and just you being you, so I hope I have not offended you in any way, as my intent is to just address what I see as an issue.  I am sure if you evaluate what is going on there you'll see what I am talking about, but with a lot more grace than I.  Thank you"

I appreciate your respectful manner and point of view, but I disagree with the latter. My structure neither harms anyone nor violates the rules as Intangir and I interpreted them the last time the road question came up. As a compromise, I will add reinforced torches at the next opportunity, and I hope you are satisfied with that.

You're welcome.

SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 05:42:37 pm »

Shaman I am sorry you feel that way, but it is not well lite, monsters are spawning in the shadows of it, not inside it from what I can tell nor will they most likely, you really need a real spawner, and thank you for your privacy on that issue, it is noted, but an existing mob spawner which is contained is not the same as a topside building casting darkness,and it does not change the fact that your buildingS are actually not to the codes of building as it goes to the curb you are supposed to leave the grass area which is not done between the two structures. Says it in the book do not build on that block.  No building over the road means exactly that, no a block in the road but to not build over it.  I do not have more than one lot so not sure what you were talking about there, but you have the lot for the transit and your home lot and now the second one. You will have to talk to Simon about the "lot" for the legs, I originally cut out a huge area to accommodate what you built.

On an ending note they are not well lite and are allowing shade day and night for mobs, I agree the factory top needs fixing, so I just put out a ton of torches around and in the factory top and exterior all the way around, until Simon can finish it, I have been hit by a creeper there too.  Maybe more light for your home but it is dark on my screen.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:08:55 pm by SavanahMile » Logged
Shaman
Public

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 08:30:30 pm »

I haven't gotten around to putting in the new torches yet. I did say at my "next opportunity".

I made the post on my break for lunch and have been busy with my urban farm all day. This is my busiest time of year for both my massive garden and my craft business. If I was a NEET or a Hikikomori, I might have it all taken care of already, but I have to work if I want to eat.

===

Just to clear up use of plots:

The main rail station plot is public. Digging down around it will result in falling 60 blocks. The signs were posted for n00b safety. A public forest was planted there at my personal expense including a cacao tree. The station was also constructed at my personal expense for public use.

The Mob Grinder I'm building is public. The workshop in it is public. The garden on top is public. The railway above it is public.

The only area that won't be open to the public upon completion is my house itself; and that building has a tiny footprint.

===

How much work do you think it would be to disassemble it? Have you seen it?! It's 12 double chests of cobblestone!!! And the mine underneath? a vast, gaping hole filled with a lattice and lined with ladders so that MOBs fall to their deaths... I've been working on it for 3 days; if you had a problem with this, you should have mentioned it before it was more than 4 blocks high. I might have been willing to remove it at that point, but this project is long past the point of no return.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/934939_4879285992186_1376529873_n.jpg

===

As for MOBs using shadows:
They proliferate in the original public tree farm. They will hide beside any structure that they happen upon or under any tree. Size isn't a factor. Even if I removed the high arch, they could still stand on that street with impunity. They stood under the tree in my back-yard even before I built the second tower over a month ago.

The annexed areas are significantly under-lit. I've SEEN them spawn back there and gone hunting a few times in that area. I've also seen MOBs coming in through the gates.

===

I might not get to play MC tonight... I just spent most of my playtime appealing to the HOA lady that wants me to remove my shed and cellar because they might overshadow the vacant lot next door.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:51:05 pm by Shaman » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: