Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New Haven! a newly founded town!  (Read 23786 times)
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 09:09:44 pm »

Shaman this is the first time I have seen it, you'll need to modify it, remove whats over the road, and pull back so there is the one block reveal from curb, that is the building code, being mad at me doesn't make the code change.  We do not want to eat up all our lots with "public" not agreed to projects either, that's why we just expanded back there, we need lots for homes, people can build their own workshops, the town square provides an enchanting table, craft tables, furnacnes, brewing stations and shops to purchase materials.  We even have a donation chest.  We have a public place to sleep, and a public farm already in place, so we don't want to duplicate efforts with home plots.  I am a co-founder of New Haven so I have a vested interest here as well.  I want you to be happy, so please re-look at your structure and see were it does not meet building codes, Look inward for your annoyance as I did not build this thing that is not to code.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:42:12 pm by SavanahMile » Logged
Masterful921
Public

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 10:25:45 pm »

Hi! I'm masterful, rather new in town, but this is a type of issue I am most familiar with. Eight months on civcraft and you see a lot of land ownership... confusion.

I'm solely responding based on rules, and my personal interpretation of them. I'm not familiar with how they are usually interpreted.

I don't know where to begin, lets see.

This seems to be a disagreement about building codes, so I'll start there.

http://i.imgur.com/KqMskz4.jpg

Clearly shown in this screenshot, this area violates rules 1 and 2. the cobblestone structure is over the road. Your argument "I interpreted the "no building over the road" rule to mean not to obstruct the road by placing blocks directly on it." is invalid because the rules specifically state both that you should not build directly "on, in, over, or across". The rules state not to build on, and not to build over.

Also shown is the violation of rule number 2. There is no space between the curb and your building.

To delve a bit further into detail, page two of the book, stating membership benefits, number 1. the city will be well lit, protected from monsters..." shown here, daytime light levels on the road under your structure are 6. To quote the minecraft wiki on the matter of conditions for hostile mobs to spawn: "the light level of the spawning block must be 7 or darker, and more light increases the chance that the spawn will fail...sunlight falling on the spawning block further increases the chance that the spawn will fail, by up to 50%". Your structure allows for hostile mobs to spawn on the road in the daytime.

Your defense "None of the MOBs I've seen were near it." http://i.imgur.com/OcQvn8O.jpg I'm not saying that that skeleton necessarily spawned under your structure. But there have been mobs near it.

"One lot please" I believe what savanah meant, was in reference to membership requirement 4 That you can only have 1 large lot, unless you have completed a structure on your first lot. Saying that Savanah has more than one is ad hominem and irrelevant.

"if you had a problem with this, you should have mentioned it before it was more than 4 blocks high" not everyone monitors everyone else's building activity. You said previously "It will span both of my plots and be connected underground." and "A road runs over it." as it is, the road runs through it. I believe we simply had no idea that you had changed your mind. 

I havn't seen this "vast, gaping hole filled with a lattice and lined with ladders so that MOBs fall to their deaths" having not explored your plots. So I wont argue.

In conclusion, I think a happy compromise could be met. I think because of the work put in already, you should be allowed to keep the plots you have put a great deal of work into. But the blocks over the road, and too close to the curb that clearly violate building code could probably be removed with out a ton of effort. A great deal less than 12 doublechests.

I will note, that I am not acting as a binding arbitrator, and you should talk to intangir and others before you progress further.

...on a personal note; although I'm not opposed to a quality mob farm next to my plot in nh. the view out my window is rather... http://i.imgur.com/IlZ7VWw.jpg ... depressing.
Shaman
Public

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 04:46:29 am »

[ author=Masterful921 link=topic=2391.msg17376#msg17376 date=1367468745]
Hi! I'm masterful, rather new in town, but this is a type of issue I am most familiar with. Eight months on civcraft and you see a lot of land ownership... confusion.

I'm solely responding based on rules, and my personal interpretation of them. I'm not familiar with how they are usually interpreted.

I don't know where to begin, lets see.

This seems to be a disagreement about building codes, so I'll start there.

http://i.imgur.com/KqMskz4.jpg

Clearly shown in this screenshot, this area violates rules 1 and 2. the cobblestone structure is over the road. Your argument "I interpreted the "no building over the road" rule to mean not to obstruct the road by placing blocks directly on it." is invalid because the rules specifically state both that you should not build directly "on, in, over, or across". The rules state not to build on, and not to build over.

Also shown is the violation of rule number 2. There is no space between the curb and your building.

To delve a bit further into detail, page two of the book, stating membership benefits, number 1. the city will be well lit, protected from monsters..." shown here, daytime light levels on the road under your structure are 6. To quote the minecraft wiki on the matter of conditions for hostile mobs to spawn: "the light level of the spawning block must be 7 or darker, and more light increases the chance that the spawn will fail...sunlight falling on the spawning block further increases the chance that the spawn will fail, by up to 50%". Your structure allows for hostile mobs to spawn on the road in the daytime.

Your defense "None of the MOBs I've seen were near it." http://i.imgur.com/OcQvn8O.jpg I'm not saying that that skeleton necessarily spawned under your structure. But there have been mobs near it.

"One lot please" I believe what savanah meant, was in reference to membership requirement 4 That you can only have 1 large lot, unless you have completed a structure on your first lot. Saying that Savanah has more than one is ad hominem and irrelevant.

"if you had a problem with this, you should have mentioned it before it was more than 4 blocks high" not everyone monitors everyone else's building activity. You said previously "It will span both of my plots and be connected underground." and "A road runs over it." as it is, the road runs through it. I believe we simply had no idea that you had changed your mind. 

I havn't seen this "vast, gaping hole filled with a lattice and lined with ladders so that MOBs fall to their deaths" having not explored your plots. So I wont argue.

In conclusion, I think a happy compromise could be met. I think because of the work put in already, you should be allowed to keep the plots you have put a great deal of work into. But the blocks over the road, and too close to the curb that clearly violate building code could probably be removed with out a ton of effort. A great deal less than 12 doublechests.

I will note, that I am not acting as a binding arbitrator, and you should talk to intangir and others before you progress further.

...on a personal note; although I'm not opposed to a quality mob farm next to my plot in nh. the view out my window is rather... http://i.imgur.com/IlZ7VWw.jpg ... depressing.

[/]

My mistake. You made excellent points.

I will remove the arch, place more torches, and limit the height of the structure. I was originally going to go up to y155. This is my final offer in terms of compromise.

Though Savanah does have 2 plots. One adjacent to Dragon's perch which she was adamant that my railway project avoid. The other is the location of her home. And by the extra plot rule, I'm in good standing. I had already completed my house and a transit tower on one plot long before beginning the present project on a plot claimed for me without stipulation as to its use.

As to your view, I plan to decorate the exterior with a pattern of blue wool. The recess was made for this reason. I'm currently trying to come up with an agreeable poetic verse to write there in seal script.

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 08:40:51 am »

Shaman you are wrong there is not an extra plot rule!  It is not in the book.   I find you grasping at straws with that comment about my plot.  That other plot you are talking about is NOT IN NEW HAVEN, nor is it part of New Haven, has nothing to do with New Haven, I have a lot on dragons perch too, and I have claimed the two mountains behind New Haven as well, you did not mention them???   They are not part of New Haven they have nothing to do with New Haven and New Haven rules, you can build whatever you want up there at Dragon's perch, and that is where you WERE building your mob spawner thing, and no one would have cared over there,so NO I have my home, ONE lot.  Please STOP trying to manipulate the rules they are clear just as Masterful pointed out, and it does not change the fact there is one lot allowed, no one else has more than one home lot.  So I believe this clears up that I have only one home lot, and no one in New Haven has more than one home lot except you. 155=y on what your home?   And YES there were stipulations about the lot in question,  you only planned on having legs there, frankly Simon opt'd that it be an available lot and see if someone would build under the legs of the rail, I am the idiot who said no it will be a nice grassy area lot Shaman can keep the legs there since that is all we thought would be there.  Lets be clear!!!!!!   YOU CHANGED UP what you had there, WHY? WHY DID YOU DO THIS??? added the ugly cobble box and then got mad when I called you on it.  This is the real truth and then you are demanding and rude calling me the "HOA lady" when YOU did all of this.  Frankly I was shocked at your actions, lack of communication saying, "well you should have said something when it was 4 blocks high??", and both disregard for the simplest of rules, one lot only.  That lot was just to be left as is and preserved, You never said anything about this MOB SPAWNER which has no place on a HOME LOT, and all the redundant public items that are already in New Haven so I find it hurtful and insulting that you keep trying to use me as an EXCUSE as to why you are ignoring the rules, I keep thinking this is just a misunderstanding, as I believed you were an honorable person, and I put much trust in you.  Misunderstandings aside how are you proceeding with this?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:59:24 pm by SavanahMile » Logged
Shaman
Public

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 12:31:53 pm »

You're entirely too emotional over this. I've admitted the mistake I made with the building codes and made a compromise to please you, drop it. It's not worth going to war over but if you continue to harass me after I've been so reasonable, you will have issues. I'm not mad now, just mildly irritated.

To quote Masterful921:
""One lot please" I believe what savanah meant, was in reference to membership requirement 4 That you can only have 1 large lot, unless you have completed a structure on your first lot."

This part especially:
"unless you have completed a structure on your first lot."

I have fulfilled this requirement, and on top of that, I didn't claim the lot for myself, you did. And your attempted imposition of ex post facto rules is hereby ignored as the illegal acts of a petty tyrant.

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 01:15:15 pm »

More than happy to drop it since you are removing that monster spawner, and restoring your property to the building code.  That's all we wanted and please note I never called you names and made personal attack on you.  I don't think it is emotional to correct a wrong.   Please know you are wrong on every name you have called me.   I am not a tyrant, I do not own a monopoly and if I did I am entitled to the profits of my own work, but that is not the case here.  BUT I am the only person offering shop space to others.   I am not obligated to give my earned efforts to others, though I help many I always give new people in town stuff to help them, I have supplied at least half of the stone for the city walls, several stacks of rails, torches and power rails for the rail project, created nice entrances for the Factory at rail level, to name a few, because I wanted to, not out of obligation, because I am not a statist.   I wish you well Shaman. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:31:00 pm by SavanahMile » Logged
Shaman
Public

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 02:21:33 pm »

[ author=SavanahMile link=topic=2391.msg17382#msg17382 date=1367522115]
More than happy to drop it since you are removing that monster spawner, and restoring your property to the building code.  That's all we wanted and please note I never called you names and made personal attack on you.  I don't think it is emotional to correct a wrong.   Please know you are wrong on every name you have called me.   I am not a tyrant, I do not own a monopoly and if I did I am entitled to the profits of my own work, but that is not the case here.  BUT I am the only person offering shop space to others.   I am not obligated to give my earned efforts to others, though I help many I always give new people in town stuff to help them, I have supplied at least half of the stone for the city walls, several stacks of rails, torches and power rails for the rail project, created nice entrances for the Factory at rail level, to name a few, because I wanted to, not out of obligation, because I am not a statist.   I wish you well Shaman. Thank you.
[/]

I'm not removing it. I've said as much, and as to compliance with the rules, this is already done for the most part with only a tiny chunk left to do. Please reference my last post in regards to the rule allowing a second plot.

شاه مات

brainlesszombie5
Public

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 09:26:48 pm »

I'm sorry I'm so far behind schedule with the wall, I think I know the the reason for all those mobs spawning. There are these gaps in the wall I've used as an way to go in and outside the wall perimeter, I lite it up but I guess it's not enough. And yes the new expansion I added is not 100% complete so that might be another reason. Now I'm making it top priority to finish what we started  embarassed
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:31:06 pm by brainlesszombie5 » Logged

A man like me just needs infinity
Lupecake
Public

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 06:19:37 am »

for what ever my 2 cents are worth, the large cobble stone squares are not very cool to look at and the rail that goes to dragons perch seems to be capping new areas that did not exist at the time you built it.  Is it possible to build a underground railway to dragons perch and have it wind up to the top, might be kinda cool looking at do away with the long row of blocks in the sky.

On a separate note, I have not put much time in on the rail way other then helping shaman dig one night and bringing him food.  But i have to thank everyone who has worked on it, its a cool addition to the server.

Thanks,
Lupecake
Shaman
Public

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 09:47:36 am »

The station already has a public door on it and the rail is half-laid... The Station in Dragon's Perch is already constructed and another aerial rail protrudes from the rear of the sky island. I could bring down the rail and have it corkscrew into the bottom of the sky island from the water's edge, but it might run into the secret stash house in the bottom. I don't know who owns it, but I found it by accident while surveying the area. Whoever owns it should put doors on it. Just saying.

As to the structure issue, I've given the second plot to my friend Jane P. I don't know what her minecraft moniker is, but I'm sure she'll put it to good use and resolve the issue. In the meantime, I'm shortening my Borg ship and planting gardens on top as well as decorating the exterior... I was originally going for the brooding castle look, but now I'm changing it to be more like a hanging garden. The temporary scaffolding put up during the decoration phase will certainly violate construction codes, but as they are not there permanently, I don't expect trouble.

I expect to get to work on these changes tonight, because I'm going biking until later, then I have to run errands and work my field... Tomorrow will be spent entirely in other towns taking care of family matters and picking up some imports 2 hours north of our tiny rural town. So I may not be online at all tomorrow.

SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 02:20:16 pm »

Can you please find out Jane P's character name is and let everyone know with a post that she is your friend and okay to be in New Haven.  Thank you
Shaman
Public

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 05:04:59 pm »

[ author=SavanahMile link=topic=2391.msg17401#msg17401 date=1367612416]
Can you please find out Jane P's character name is and let everyone know with a post that she is your friend and okay to be in New Haven.  Thank you
[/]

She tried to log on earlier today on my computer (because she doesn't have internet access at her house anymore) with her usrnym "DaoXiang" but there was an error message and it didn't work (probably because my copy of MC is pirated). Her usrnym means "smell of rice" in Mandarin Chinese. She has a mild crush on Jay Chou, a Chinese pop star who did a song by that name. She asked me to shorten the wall on her plot for her since it's reinforced and it would be hard for her. I still have no idea what she plans to do with it.

Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 08:17:43 pm »

oh man its like a large book up there

i hope yall are making sure to remember that everyone here is a gamer just trying to enjoy playing/being creative. hopefully with the right understanding everyone's concerns can be addressed without too much conflict
brainlesszombie5
Public

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 10:44:12 pm »

Lupe the squares is the inside I haven't put the last layer on yet

A man like me just needs infinity
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 07:43:23 am »

Shaman,  sorry to hear that, if intangir knows she can play with free id as well on this sever, he just has to do something to make it work, maybe he can help you get her logged on.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: