Poll
Question: Which of the following plans of action do you like best? (see below for more info)
Change absolutely nothing - 1 (4.5%)
Expand current world only - 1 (4.5%)
Expand current world, and make chat range limited - 4 (18.2%)
Expand current world, and make chat range limited, remove stargates - 3 (13.6%)
Reset with a new larger map, limit chat range, without stargates - 13 (59.1%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible changes upcoming?  (Read 14467 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: December 15, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »

I'm considering some changes, some minor, some major. I want to get feedback on some of the more drastic ones.

Already the spawn range is being expanded, it seems to deter griefers more than non griefers and reduce alot of the immediate griefing that has gone on lately.

I am planning to also reduce the global chat range.
Pros:
* griefers cant spam us Wink
* adds an incentive for creating closer communities/cities
* if someone is spamming you, you know he is close enough for you to possibly find and kill if you choose
Cons:
* new players might think the server is inactive and/or boring and not realize they can contact others with /tell
* you wont be able to hear others if you choose to settle in a distant location (unless you use tell, this parallels real life though so i prefer it)

I think we should get rid of the stargates:
Stargate Pros:
* makes it extremely convenient to travel all over the map instantly..
* can still interact but with less risk
* can create remote points of production/interest and travel to them quickly
Cons:
* Not very realistic, dont fit with the survival theme
* doesn't allow for the dynamic social interactions and conflict resolution that i wanted the server to provide (so that mutually voluntary interaction can come into play more often)
* cities are obsolete
* no real life parallel (yet)

Increased world size (and square):
Pros:
* Newly generated chunks can have new content like witches, and hopefully better ore distribution (which seems to have a flaw in some chunks now), possibility of a mushroom island
* Will be harder for griefers (or anyone else) to randomly happen across your town by random chance
Cons:
* longer travel times if cities are spread way out
* hrm.. maybe others i havent considered

and the most drastic proposal of all, which we should not take lightly, Reset the map (and all players):
Pros:
* wouldn't have to worry about issues related to range limits (travel times, and chat range) with things we've already built
* New map seed could be enjoyable, our current one is kind of bleh, and the landscape has been riddled with ugliness in some areas
* chunks would have new things like witch huts
* i THINK the chunk generator seems to have had a problem with ore distribution when all the chunks were generated (there were changes made related to this since)
* Everyone would start fresh at the exact same level
Cons:
* Everyone would start fresh at the exact same level
* All the pearled griefers would be free
* We would lose all of our creations (well they will be available for single player download)
* we would lose all of our items (diamonds, armors, etc)
* unnecessary with larger map size, plus we can just as easily abandon our current things for new lands if the logistics of travel time/chat are problematic for us

Feel free to add any pros or cons that i havent listed, share your thoughts and feelings on any of the changes your concerned or excited about.

the earliest we would make any of the drastic alterations is late next week, and nothing is set in stone.

Thanks everyone
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:52:10 pm »

remember the poll doesn't decide the outcome, it is to gauge interest. the final say is mine as server owner, but obviously i am not going to do something that risks losing tons of players

also if anyone has any questions not addressed feel free to ask those as well
Commander
Public

Alias: Pedro

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »

If the map is reset, that means the Ender Dragon will spawn, right?

☯ You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self, only then will your true self reveal itself.
Elarim
Public

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:56:11 pm »

I would, on balance, like to reset the map.

edit: And this despite having numerous reinforced creations, and a full set of lvl 30 enchanted diamond armor, enchanted diamond sword, enchanted bow, two enchanted picks, etc.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 05:56:44 pm »

I think limiting chat can hinder us with new players when there are only 1-3 people on at a time.

I do want to expand the world, but I just worked hard to build up what i have so i really don't want to restart also we have several new players who are just getting established like brainlesszombie and his deadwood/plain view this place is growing and has 4 or 5 people living there
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »

ya enderdragon would reset
but he would still only be killable 1 time
Pep
Public

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »

Hi,

First time player, long time voluntaryist!  afro

I support local chat. If it is deemed too extreme I suggest adding an opt-in lobby. Or an in-game mechanic, like hold a piece of red wool and type /chatred to access the red chat room/frequency. Chat closes when no longer holding it... Maybe that's too silly.

What is the current size of the map? I suggest at least 200k blocks squared based on your simultaneous user max.

Agree about stargates. Better to make travel realistic & improve sense of distance, value of rail transit, and overall economy.

A reset is necessary for witch huts as you suggest. But it would hurt people invested in current world. I doubt using multi world plugin is any less of a headache, but worth noting if people wanted a way to physically migrate some of their materials to the new map by portal to ease the blow.

I like all your other plugins and think this is a proper anarcho-capitalist type economy. No fake/needless virtual economy to distract, & good block chest protection.

grin

vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 10:52:42 pm »

Lol, I love how "Everyone would start fresh at the exact same level" was both a pro and a con; it's very true. For the most part you already know my opinion, but I've changed my mind about local chat. I would be fine with local chat, but it would be preferred to have some sort of global chat channel, even if purely for socializing. I want to be rid of Stargates, and I would be satisfied for a new map. Meganville 2.0, anybody?

Stay Determined.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 06:57:26 am »

Well unfortunately some of the people who are actually playing on a regular basis did not post their votes on here like PeterDell1, Happy and Brainlesszombie5.  These people who are playing everynight and have a wonderful new place Plainview, which is a nice small community they vote "no" to the making the new map.  So that is 3 more no's.  I have no idea about Arcanight as he has just built two new places as well.  Pros we do have built up armor & potions so we can defend against griefers.  Also with a map reset anyone who was pearled what happens to them?  We have several new quality players that have joined recently, and who just got established it would be a shame to take that away.  I personally will not have the time to build back what I currently have.
augrox
Public

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:18:37 am »

I'm too new to matter. I'm fine with a map reset, chat limiting i don't know.  Even though I'm not too chatty, would this negatively limit social interaction?  Can you still be able to send world wide messages? As far as star gates go, I guess that matters on how big the world is. Wouldn't all that walking all the time wreak havoc on your system?
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:54:23 am »

the /tell would still work

we would expect that with limited chat range and no stargates, people who trust eachother and respect eachothers property will tend to settle near eachother into cities again

Pep
Public

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 12:59:46 pm »

Market demand for railroads would fill the gap for the loss of stargates. Amazing rail transit possibilities. It would encourage settlement cooperation.

Having played on a server with a massive map, traveling 5k blocks to see someone is a brief journey. I'm used to boating 40k to bases. If a new map is used, I hope it is at least 30k in size, and open to being increased in the future without having to reset.

I suggest reducing the spawn area to 1k radius (easier to find habitation) but drifting it across the map over time (limit grief/scarred earth density).
Elarim
Public

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »

I like Pep's ideas Smiley
anoddhue
Public

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 10:32:57 am »

I'm ridiculously new and just getting established, but would be fine with a new map if it meant more variety in mobs, biomes, etc.

I haven't used stargates but without them I imagine boats and rails would be a lot more valuable.

And I have no opinion on the chat issue, I think an opt-in global chat could be neat, if people spam it everyone could opt out and just use /tell or local chat until the griefers leave.

SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 03:07:34 pm »

Is that possible to use an opt out?  or do you just type /ignore?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: