Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgraded to 1.8!  (Read 10188 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: December 10, 2014, 03:56:50 am »

1.8 at last! This has been a highly anticipated release! and it has been a long wait and a lot of work to get it working.

I'll write up a more comprehensive post about this later but for now keep the following in mind:

#1, this is still pretty early to be moving to 1.8, many of the mods are in dev versions, and the spigot server software itself is also still very bleeding edge. There will likely be bugs and issues. please report any bugs and issues you find right away, on this thread or at least on the forum so i can fix them. please don't quietly exploit exploitable issues you find. Its a tough call between waiting for stability or moving forward with newer mods and software, but since the anticipation was so high, our population is so low Wink and so many people are waiting on the repair changes, i went ahead and moved forward. I did as much testing as 1 person can do within the timeframe and from what i could tell all of the mods work well enough. Wink

#2, 1.8 made drastic changes to graphics and AI. supposedly it results in a drastic framerate boost for most players, unfortunately for me it results in a massive performance LOSS. If you have terrible terrible frame rates and chunk load times like i do, i highly recommend getting the mod optifine:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1272953

it has always improved performance for me in the past, i haven't installed it for 1.8 yet so i am crossing my fingers it solves all of my performance issues..

If it doesn't, you can also improve performance by lowering your render distance, the server only sends upto 8, but anything lower should improve your performance, especially while walking around. you can also change other graphics settings in there, major ones include the Graphics setting, and Smooth lighting, even lowering the framerate seemed to help a ton

#3, like i said, AI has also been drastically changed (by mojang) some monsters are way faster, some hit faster, some pathfind differently.. they are all different.. be careful, behavior your your used to from monsters will not be the same, they might find new ways into your bases, they may be more dangerous than before, especially pigmen are lightning fast..  i don't think you can outrun them, and they almost seem to warp to you once they get close enough to hit you and beat you into a corner and murder you and revel in your blood while they try on your prot4 armor.. it is terrifying, i have removed the auto aggressive pigman setting from AF because they are dangerous enough as is.. i have also removed the AI nerf from spawners to see if the AI impact of spawned mobs is still high or not, also the nerfed AI mobs did even less than they did before the AI changes

#4, i listed some new recipies on the section here on the website, it will tell you how to access some of the new items required for new block recipes, i also added a way of practically doubling the amount of quartz we can produce since quartz is required for most of the new recipes

#5, armor stands are technically entities, citadel will not protect them, (same as item frames, and pictures..), use them at your own risk, im actually not sure if its even logged by snitches yet since they are so new. I recommend not putting valuable armor on them at all yet

KNOWN ISSUES:
* Prison pearls appear as big checkered glowing boxes, they still actually work though, they just look silly..
* player skinned npcs sometimes disappear on the spaceport
* the tab list sometimes flickers npc heads on it..
* portaling sometimes puts you too low for a second or show you falling, it seems to always correct your position within a couple seconds.
* head still sometimes show the wrong texture for a while, but mysteriously it seems to correct it after a matter of minutes.. (usually..)
* animals seem to get out of their pens when i first logged in, it doesn't seem to KEEP happening, but they may have changed collision boxes on fences and iron bars causing tons of my chickens to escape. i don't think it will continue after the initial chunk loading
* alot of the portals on VE look rotated randomly.. you may need to break and relight them
* some maps mysteriously popped off of walls for no apparent reason, i fixed some, if you lose maps let me know and i can restore them
* some levers mysteriously pop off of floors.. it seems to be caused by being on halfslabs, this is a vanilla bug that i can't fix, you'll have to change the slabs to full blocks to place the lever there..
* custom tab list has issues, but it still looks cooler than default

Hope everyone has fun!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:17:51 pm by Intangir » Logged
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:41:44 am »

hrm lowering my framerate to 30 and setting clouds off alone seemed to drastically improve my performance..
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 10:49:17 am »

the pigmen are absolutely bonkers..

and they are vanilla

the new pigman AI is pure insanity..

it reminds me of back when extra hard mode was so hard everyone constantly instantly died when they went there..

it seems WORSE than that now.. only bright side is we have a decent nether road already built with lots of doors, savanah and me put up iron replacements for most of the wood because the pigmen broke through it in seconds..

i saw dozens of pigmen swarming after savanah, finding every possible path, and SPRINTING along them in swarms..

omg...

what is mojang thinking man! they are vanilla AI, i didn't put in a mod for them

SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 11:29:25 am »

Do not hit a pigman int he nether if you do, exit the nether as soon as possible.
I had dozens of them coming after me, pathfinding to me.

* 2014-12-10_10.16.45.png (356.4 KB, 1600x838 - viewed 1151 times.)

* 2014-12-10_11.08.40.png (390.65 KB, 1600x838 - viewed 1176 times.)
Commander
Public

Alias: Pedro

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:31:52 pm »

I recommend half slabbing the entire nether road

☯ You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self, only then will your true self reveal itself.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 02:01:24 pm »

I put in doors for now
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 04:34:44 pm »

lol holy crap look at those screenshots

halfslabs on the road itself mightn ot be enough, we also have to isolate the road from the outside

if they can find anyway in, they flood in by the dozens and find you

that means no open doorways/holes, no wooden doors

im not sure if they break through the new door styles or not, youd think they would, but mojang tends to not do what youd think theyd do
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 08:05:23 pm »

they can break thru any wood door, I have not protected the wood to test if like an iron or stone protection would hold them out.

They wanted igloosnowball's so bad, and they broke the other door across from killing floor door so they went all the way around.

* 2014-12-10_18.15.39.png (653.09 KB, 1600x838 - viewed 1169 times.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:07:00 pm by SavanahMile » Logged
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »

Thanks for your hard work Intangir.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 12:04:28 pm »

Thank you shanghai for reminding me to Thank to guy who put in all his time to bring us 1.8 INSPITE of Mojang(MS).  ahhaha
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 01:58:38 pm »

new door and gate types are fixed and securable
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:18:15 pm by Intangir » Logged
Commander
Public

Alias: Pedro

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 06:08:14 pm »

1.8 is a pretty cool update, I like it

I found beacon beams don't appear right (graphical issue)

and every dog in existence has a green collar oddly enough Wink

hopefully the bugs can be worked out soon

thanks intangir

☯ You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self, only then will your true self reveal itself.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 10:05:42 am »

the beacons are a clientside bug, i can't do anything about those
its a graphical thing only though, they still give buffs nearby

the collar colors were apparently reindexed by mojang or something

they will have to be redyed i guess, they aren't all green though, other colors changed to other colors Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: