Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Semi-official Suggestion Thread  (Read 41017 times)
vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« on: December 28, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »

Hi folks. I'm setting this up to hopefully provide a way of communicating suggestions without constantly annoying Intangir every time he tries to play. Please post any and all suggestions for changes here instead of in-game. Keep in mind that this server is SUPPOSED TO BE challenging and unique; I believe there is plenty room for improvement without compromising the challengingness and uniqueness of the server.

Here are some general guidelines to think of when writing your suggestion:

1. Don't just complain, give good reasons as to why you think things should be different WITHOUT making the server extremely easy and ordinary.

2. Don't be overly-opinionated, try to make sure your suggestions are things that will make the server more fun for everyone, not just easier and more convenient for you.

3. Don't take it personally if your suggestion is shot down, some ideas just aren't realistic and other ideas are just plain stupid.

4. Don't be an ass

Also, feel free to post in support of someone's suggestion. If all of you really like someone's idea, let it be known. I don't know how willing Intangir is to implement most suggestions, but this will (hopefully) at least provide a way for you to communicate your ideas without harassing him every time he logs in.

Stay Determined.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:57:04 pm »

thanks vbelac, i do prefer this method of sharing rather than in game

great suggestions

btw i know about the thing with the dirt falling on the road, and the issue with monsters spawning directly ontop of people sometimes, i am a making tweaks to address both of these, they will be in shortly

Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 03:35:08 am »

i fixed the two i just mentioned
jerns
Public

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:36:06 am »

How about a mod that allows players to have more than one spawn, but instead of /homes, it used beds as spawn points. I was on a server that used a mod like this before, it was a bit more challenging than a simple /home mod.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:28:45 am »

How would you choose where you spawned if there were multiple options?

Thank you vbelac, remember folks Intangir likes to play too but it is hard if everytime he logs on someone is liek i don't like this or that or change this or that, by posting it here other people get to post their views, and if he sees a majority of people wanting somthing than it could be worth his time to do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:30:37 am by SavanahMile » Logged
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 09:45:04 pm »

First, I want to thank Intangir for implementing my previous suggestion to make Gunpowder more readily available via at least one non-combat option (gravel-mining), so you don't have to be a monster-slayer to get the TNT needed for blast mining. It went a long way in persuading me to give EHM a chance. Frankly, I think default EHM's approach to making the game more "challenging" is largely flat, dry, rigid and myopic, but changes like this add depth, richness, flexibility. It's much appreciated.

Here are a few thoughts that have accumulated over the last week:

OVERWORLD BLAZES: Battling them would be more exciting if they dropped loot. So instead of it just being a huge headache when they show up, where the reward is simply not dying, it becomes a more engaging risk/reward scenario. Fire-related drops would be thematically appropriate. So a chance to drop one or more of: Blaze Rod, Blaze Powder (my preference), Coal, Gunpowder, Fire Charge, with rarity set to the drop's value/utility of course.

SKELETAL ARCHERS: I saw that a 20% chance to hit Skeletal Archers from range has been added. This is a good move in the right direction, but I don't think it reaches a tipping point where it becomes a meaningful option. For random chance to hit approach, it should be at least 50% to create a compelling decision. However, I think random chance to hit is not as effective a choice as damage reduction. If Archers instead spawned with armor with some level of Projectile Protection, it forces players to consider their own archery skill when deciding if/how to engage. The current options are to charge into melee (using cover if available), or run away. And a 1/5 chance to hit doesn't really put a third option on the table. Sniper-dueling archers is a fun, skill-based solution (cannot stress the importance of this enough) while PP enchants retain the additional challenge of EHM.

SOFTENING STONE: Additional options for turning natural Stone into Cobble could create fun and interesting cost/benefit decisions. For example, throwing a Splash Potion of Harming/Poison/Weakness could turn all the Stone it hits into Cobble, sort of dissolving it like acid. Or perhaps a mechanic more akin to Bone Meal on crops. Sprinkle one Glowstone Dust on a single Stone Block and it turns to Cobble. The purpose is not to make grid-mining feasible, but to provide options for all the other babies currently thrown out with the bathwater where one (or a few) Stone blocks are in your way (for example, while leveling terrain for a homestead). The idea is to create a one or more interesting options for dealing with Stone, in the spirit of EHM, somewhere between the overkill of TNT, and the pitiful waste of pick-axing it.

MULTIPLE SPAWN POINTS: Jerns mentioned this, and I think it's an intriguing idea. A player could place multiple beds, and always spawn at the nearest one. This could be over-ridden through the placement of a secondary block within X meters of a bed that indicates "always spawn here, regardless of player proximity to other beds."

PIGGIER PIGS: I always thought it was strange that pigs only respond to a single food item. They're pigs! Unless I'm missing something, they're the least useful livestock animal by far, and making them more pig-like could help new farmers get up and running. Unlike the other farm animals, pigs birth litters. Pigs also eat almost anything. Perhaps they could give birth to multiple piglets depending on the food they're given. In any case, I think they should be breedable with any fruit or vegetable. Or, at the very least, will follow you while holding any fruit or vegetable.

DEAD BUSHES: I also really like how Dead Bushes give you sticks, and now sticks can be combined into planks. It would be cool if they had a random chance of dropping a couple more sticks instead of always 1. Also, it could drop 1 or more earth-toned dye. So you're not getting the crop, but in the true spirit of pioneer farming, there's always a use--often more than one--for everything.

Thanks for reading! At the very least, I hope people find these suggestions interesting.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:49:38 am »

feel free to share just don't have too high of expectations for all ideas to be implemented

i want to focus more on playing and server administration than authoring mods

right now im still working on bringing shopkeepers upto date with all of my previous changes, the more modification i make to other peoples mods, the harder it becomes to keep them updated over time

if it isn't as simple as altering a config option it is less likely to be worth making the change
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 07:42:25 pm »

Thanks Int for modifying the Blazes! I've done some minimal modding and I realize that some ideas require more work than others, and may not be as interesting to you or other players. You're obviously willing to implement suggestions when you think they're feasible and appropriate, and that's all any reasonable player can ask. Thanks again.
vbelac
Public

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:30:42 pm »

In light of the change of nether quartz dropping glowstone, it might add neat incentive to go hunting in the nether if blazes and/or pigmen dropped it. I think it would be good as it wouldn't make it super easy to get, but it wouldn't be a limited resource, and we would have a real (and much more attractive) alternative to torches once we actually progress enough to be hunting said mobs.

Stay Determined.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 01:10:44 pm »

Sounds cool as long as blazes still drop blaze rods too, i don't want to kill 10 blazes ( 20 died = 5 blazes for me) and get glowstone. zombiepigmen in the fortress drop netherwart and gold swords with thier gold nugget which is the only way to get netherwart, we donot want to lose that ability to get it.  just saying we will all be brewing soon and you'll need it.  If they drop more than one thing.....hint hint....that would be cool
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 04:15:43 pm »

NO CAVE-INS FROM PICKING VEGETATION: I've seen enormous cave-ins triggered by cutting grass (with no visible signs of empty space underneath) and I recently died from cave-in suffocation after I picked a mushroom and the blocks around it caved in. Players literally risk instant, inescapable death every time they pick a flower. I understand that things like mining and combat are supposed to be life-threateningly risky, but "Thoroughly search the area for hidden sinkholes before you touch so much as a blade of grass" feels like overkill even in terms of the "Think ahead and play it safe" credo of EHM. Even an accidental misclick on a double-tall grass stalk could kill you.

EDIT #1: Triggered a massive cave-in underneath my feet by breaking a leaf block above me. It is remotely possible that I was standing on single-tall grass as I broke the leaf block and inadvertently broke it while standing inside its target reticle. Either way, I thought it was worth mentioning here. Beware of leaves.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:45:15 pm by The_Shanghai_Kid » Logged
vbelac
Public

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 05:02:42 pm »

Who would've thought that mowing the lawn could become so dangerous.

Stay Determined.
brainlesszombie5
Public

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 01:02:14 am »

I gotta agree with Shanghai, I was clearing grass off land of my compound when this cave-in triggered. I saw non sign that there was a cave. Now the once plain grass land is full of  pits and I've lost a lot of xp from just cutting grass.

A man like me just needs infinity
jerns
Public

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »

[ author=jerns link=topic=2650.msg18113#msg18113 date=1388406966]
How about a mod that allows players to have more than one spawn, but instead of /homes, it used beds as spawn points. I was on a server that used a mod like this before, it was a bit more challenging than a simple /home mod.
[/]

What about using homespawnplus to use beds as homes, and on /homex it goes to homex at a high cooldown, while that cooldown is in effect /homex would take the player to their closest home
it work work the same for on death, nearest home. If you are interesting but don't want to do the work i can configure the plugin and upload the yml.
brainlesszombie5
Public

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 08:52:40 pm »

I think you should increase the mob spawn rate in deep woods or even let them spawn in daylight hours (but still get burned in daylight). Because the "Deep Dark Woods" are meant to be scary.

A man like me just needs infinity
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: