Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining changes thread  (Read 4981 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: March 29, 2015, 09:52:53 pm »

This is the thread for feedback and complaints about the new mining challenges

The details are thus: instead of solid stone, and requiring better picks that are ruined, or tnting. Mining at lower depths gives you fatigue and slowness, the deeper you go the worse it gets.

if you have feedback please give useful details, if you have complaints and whining, go ahead and get them out of the way HERE instead of in game, because i would also like to try and enjoy the game and so far it is difficult when some of you just keep whining about how impossible it is without actually trying it for more than a couple hours.. i know its DIFFERENT, that doesn't mean its IMPOSSIBLE

i tried it on test server with an efficiency 5 diamond pick and it is still very possible

since no one seems to be able to discover this completely obvious common sense way to work around the mining challenges i will just give it to you

#1, there are HUGE caverns down there underground, find one, and simply explore it and mine the diamonds themselves, you don't need to TNT blast mine your own huge tunnels

#2, use an efficiency 5 pick, this makes a huge difference, getting one should be a high priority

#3, TNT does still work, the explosion size is smaller but still big enough to lose a bunch of diamonds in a hurry, or get you into a cavern. after more testing if it really is too small i will increase the size. the trick is to find caverns

#4, i haven't tested this but i think riding an animal at depth avoids the running speed slowing, animals are much heartier than you are apparently.

#5, don't cool obsidian down in the depths.. take a bucket of lava to the surface to cool it and you will be able to mine it much more easily, or find the volcano biome and find surface obsidian there

#6 see what happens if you have someone HELP you mine, they can cover your back, or try to pick it with you, i am not SURE if it will make it go faster or not, but its worth a try, they can definitely help defend you, feedback on wether two people mine twice as fast or not would be valuable feedback not "its impossible" over and over..

people have mountains upon mountains of TNT on the other server, there is no shortage of gravel and sand on this server either, make MORE tnt. its that simple..

i also have a fun feature i am working on involving firing blasting charges via your bow which i think will be more fun than tnt mining and more precise and possible to mine ceilings, it isn't done though

here is the situation i am trying to resolve with this change:

#1, lots of people immediately quit when they can't mine stone, this will ease them into some of the mining challenges so they don't quit so quickly

#2, the huge caverns on the new survey world are loaded with craptons of ore.. if you can simply pluck it all out you will be able to get 20-30 diamonds in just a few minutes.. this is not a challenge, its not going to be fun long term, and its going to be boring as crap later on

#3, there is no happy medium of mining fatigue between level 2 and 3, it jumps up incredibly dramatically. so its either have it more or less like it is, or have to mine the same block over and over and over and over, which i think is more boring.

one of the other survey worlds didn't even HAVE ore, this one has it, and its easy to find, the challenge will be getting it loose. you don't HAVE to get full diamond armor and tools on the 2nd day. the last survey map was up for 2 months, this one will be up for longer most likely, you don't need full diamond on the second day, its supposed to be challenging to get full diamond armor!

im doing my best to provide a server that offers a balance between fun, easy access, a range of activities and blocks for creative players, and challenge. too easy and its boring and people lose interest, too hard and it will alienate too many new players, id at least hope that some of the older players were more willing to TRY new features out rather than just dismiss them as impossible so quickly.. this is a survey world afterall, new an expected things should not be so surprising. just gain an understanding of it, and factor it in, almost every challenge in that past could be overcome one way or the other, i know ways this one can, some of them you won't be able to get on the 2nd day, but you will later

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:56:51 pm by Intangir » Logged
Jonin420
Public

Question, Why Am I So Good?

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:30:52 pm »

ok I gotta say sorry I was actually mining while I was saying its impossible I know its possible wasn't being serious just whining like you said I didn't mean to bug you so bad I know you can mine I was just being a dikhead  ill stop whining and just paly and have fun and hopefully you can do the same sorry for being an A hole
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:37:03 pm »

thats fine i know changes can be alarming, i was also too dramatic maybe but i also get frustrated

ill be making adjustments to hopefully improve it
Simon_Jeeha
Public

Alias: Spiral Warrior

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:11:53 pm »

I got an idea

instead of mining fatigue 3
how bought make it fatigue 2 and you have to break surrounding blocks lose first or something like that

then it still won't be so easy, but it won't be so boring either (or slow)

also there is no source of soul sand or netherwart

pigmen aren't dropping it
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 04:24:03 am »

I like it and tried it out on test but that alone still just makes it far too easy

i have another idea im going to try out

where drinking strength 2 will reduce in the negative effects of the fatigue

so it will bring you down from 3 to 2 at max depth, i do like your idea of the loosening of ores and i think i will leave that in

so it will probably be a combination of those two, im going to have to do some more coding before it works
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 04:24:24 am »

also im adding in a soul sand recipe and pigmen will drop netherwart soon
zombienerd
Public

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 10:09:00 am »

Interesting mining system, for sure!  I think it won't be so difficult once there's easier transportation in place to gather the necessary components for the Strength 2 potion. Or once a few beacons are in circulation.

Keep up the good work.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: