Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Adventure Dungeon is now in open beta!  (Read 7888 times)
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« on: November 17, 2014, 06:48:02 pm »

A large, mysterious temple has been discovered in the desert sands of Anarchic Frontiers. Explorers and adventurers are encouraged to seek it out, gain entrance, survive its many perils, and escape with any treasure they might find inside.

---

Here's the deal, folks: I'm not going to provide a detailed run-down of where the temple is, how to get in, or what risks and rewards to expect. Still, There are a lot of things I think people should know to have the most fun with it.

WHAT TO KNOW GOING IN:

Regarding its location, I've already mentioned that it's in a desert biome, and that's more than enough of a clue for people to find it. I'll circle back to the secrecy/mystery of it below.

You might find the temple's single gate sealed, but it can and does open. There are structural clues nearby that should help you determine when that will happen. When it does, be on your toes. You'll have only a brief moment to dash inside. If you miss it, you'll have to wait until the next opening.

The only thing you MUST have to complete the dungeon is a bow and arrows (1 stack at least). You're free to use any other supplies you wish to bring with you, including potions, pearls, and so on, but you're more obviously awesome if you complete it without using such things.

Monsters may spawn inside--I can't control that--so gear up accordingly. Just remember that you'll drop everything if you die, and you may have little to no chance of recovering lost items. Don't take anything inside that you're not prepared to lose.

Some of the challenges are quite lethal and unforgiving; others you might find quite simple on your first try--or once you find a successful strategy. Not all of the challenges are immediately obvious to the eye, while some are deliberately concealed. In all honesty, I can run through the whole thing in less than a minute, and if you get good at it, you will too. That's okay.

There is treasure to be had at the end of the dungeon. I won't say how much, of what kind, or how I'm managing loot distribution. I'll be frank and say: Lower your expectations. Also, don't expect everyone to get the same rewards. You're doing this for the fun of it and for the bragging rights--the treasure is intended as icing on the cake.

Think of this place as more of a living museum, a novel, interactive design showpiece that you can visit for a daily freebie (like a daily quest in an MMO), rather than a serious, ongoing gaming challenge that will provide hours of challenging entertainment. If you think of it as the latter, you will probably be disappointed.

If the community would like to contribute to a treasure fund to keep it loaded, that would be a fun way of keeping it up and running. This would make it like a raffle, or poker, where everyone throws something into the pot, and one person has a chance of walking away with far more than they put in.

If you complete the dungeon, the only way out is to beam out. This is intended. I didn't want people to simple run back around to the front and go again.

However, if people want to put spawn points in the area, that's fine by me. In fact, I'm curious to see if the temple's presence prompts any other developments in the area. If you do want to build nearby, please leave 30 meters on all sides of the temple. That would help preserve the look and feel of the area.

RULES, EXPECTATIONS AND ETIQUETTE:

The entire complex and immediately surrounding perimeter is snitched and bumpered. Every block is protected with stone or better. You will not have to place or break blocks to complete the dungeon. I'll be radically honest and admit that it wouldn't be too hard to break into the dungeon. I'm not counting on the server's physical defenses here, I'm counting on social defenses.

I reserve the right to imprison first and ask questions later anyone who:

- Breaks into/otherwise enter the dungeon from a point other than the gate
- Damages, vandalizes, disrupts, or otherwise harms the hidden mechanics

For all other activity I deem to be inappropriate or suspicious, in my sole discretion, I reserve the right to exclude you from usage of the temple for any period (including forever), on threat on imprisonment (i.e. if a banished player shows up on a snitch, I may then choose to imprison).

That said, you all know I'm a pretty reasonable guy, and this isn't aimed at players in good standing. If you accidentally break a block, cosmetic or functional in nature, or find anything else out of order let me know ASAP via message on this board. The temple is in indefinite "open beta." I will fix major problems when I can, but can't commit to a high level of availability.

I have tried to make it as hard as possible to get stuck, but it is still possible. If this happens, I ask with all humility that you do not break/tunnel your way out. You might break machinery, and you will not be able to repair any holes you leave behind you and I can't always just pop on and fix things.

I think everyone can play a part in helping others get the most out of this experience. If you find the temple, don't tell anyone else where it is until you have completed it. Once you complete it, tell two people how to find it. Please don't post screenshots or text that spoils anything. Maintaining some mystery could be fun, but if no one likes that idea, I understand.

Big thanks to Jonin for donating many valuable resources--especially slime and pistons! I literally would not have been able to build this temple without them. Thanks to Savanah for scouting sites and being otherwise supportive of the endeavor. Thanks to Pigeon for being my supply-runner on several occasions.

ORIGINAL POST: Savanah recently suggested a group project, like a tower city, and I pitched the idea of a playable adventure dungeon--something with death traps, puzzles, treasure and so on. I've spent the last few weeks designing a basic adventure dungeon, and I promised Savanah I'd post a few teasers now that it's done.

It's an introductory-level experience, in terms of size, challenge, and my design/engineering abilities. There will be several deadly traps, and your options for recovering dropped gear are, shall we say, reduced. However, you will not need expensive weapons or armor to deal with the challenges (it will be up to each dungeon-runner to decide how to prepare for any mobs that spawn inside). There is one archery-related challenge, so all you'll need is a bow and some arrows. There will be material rewards involved.

I chose a desert theme because: 1. it would be very easy to build in a desert, 2. to gather the tons of sandstone needed for the structure, and 3. it fits with the tone and genre of an Indiana Jones-style locale.

I don't want to say too much more about it yet; I think part of the fun of the experience will be letting there be an air of mystery around it. My purpose here is to say that the design is complete, tease the project a bit, and to see if anyone is interested in contributing resources and/or labor to the project.

Although I'm open to other options, my current intention is to build the critical guts of the place myself, so as to keep its contents secret, and also because setting up the communication, citadel groups, etc. to build the place collaboratively would probably be more work than just having one person build it.

Areas for assistance:

1. Finding the best site (a flat, 40 wide x 150 long area in a desert biome)
2. Materials needed (at least 72 sticky pistons, loads of stone and iron for citadel protections, etc.)

It may even turn out to be extensible, with the possibility for branching paths that can be added in a modular fashion. So if you wanted to build your own death trap or puzzle, it might be possible to add it on once the core structure is complete.

Questions and comments welcome. I'm not going to dive into this project right away, so it may yet evolve.

* 2014-11-16_02.43.33.png (142.73 KB, 854x480 - viewed 1136 times.)

* 2014-11-16_02.41.05.png (77.29 KB, 854x480 - viewed 1139 times.)

* 2014-11-16_02.42.39.png (158.6 KB, 854x480 - viewed 1112 times.)

* 2014-12-26_16.29.04.png (110.12 KB, 854x480 - viewed 1157 times.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:47:24 pm by The_Shanghai_Kid » Logged
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 09:02:27 am »

I found a location, i'll message you the coords later today, not sure if it will work for you
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 03:31:48 am »

The adventure dungeon is almost ready. Hopefully by tomorrow night. More details to come.
Jonin420
Public

Question, Why Am I So Good?

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:28:06 pm »

sweet dude you the man thank you for all the hard work we know its gonna be badass
Igloosnowbal
Public

pizza

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:02:10 pm »

Piston doors you get stuck in be careful and don't bring valuables. lol

vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 11:15:23 pm »

I made a treasure hunt sort of clue path thing to lead people to the dungeon. The first clue is on a sign on the TT and OC notice boards. Both signs say the same thing so you can start from either city. It's not very long so I may add more clues later but for now it's functional

Stay Determined.
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:36:52 pm »

Thanks to the people who've run the dungeon, I've identified some issues, and even corrected one of them.

First: Vampires beware. The dungeon was designed for humans, so if you fall down a pit that would kill a human, you might find yourself trapped instead. I suggest you un-vamp before running the dungeon. If you read this post and get stuck, as a vampire, then break your way out, you'll make the baby Jesus cry. I've added similar warning signage for vampires near the dungeon's front door.

Because I'm a nice guy, I've added an escape tunnel to one such trap. If you survive the fall, you can hop up the stairwell then beam out.

Also, now that the dungeon has been looted, it's time to talk about how that works in a bit more detail. There's an automatic and random reloading system in place that puts a couple bits of loot into the chest each Minecraft day--BUT ONLY WHEN THAT CHUNK IS LOADED (as far as I can tell). This means that players will have to hang about in order for the treasure to pile up again.

Technically this means its possible to exploit the system by just hanging out in the treasure room, but I don't suggest this for two reasons: 1. it makes you a chode 2. it's not the fastest process in the world and you'll be waiting a very long time. In fact, you could just mine the loot faster.

I might upgrade the loot distribution system in the future, but for now, it is what it is. The ultimate takeaway here should be: You might get a lot; you might get a little; you might get valuable stuff; you might get not-so-valuable stuff. It's a crapshoot and I actually don't make the final decision what goes into the loot chest.

Thanks again to everyone who's given it a try!
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:04:12 pm »

How do i findit?

huh huh huh huh huh huh
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 04:01:22 pm »

[ author=SavanahMile link=topic=2866.msg19381#msg19381 date=1421787852]
How do i findit?

huh huh huh huh huh huh
[/]

By going to where it is.

But that's not what you mean. wink

Vbelac made a trail of bread crumbs you can follow. Starts with a clue in OC.

Igloo can also tell you now that he's beaten it.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 08:07:29 pm »

There is a clue in OC?

Man I need to get out more.  hahahaha
vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 03:26:03 am »

Check the notice board in OC, unless someone removed it. If someone removed it the same clue is posted on the TT notice board

Stay Determined.
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 09:35:58 am »

Someone removed it, It is no longer there
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: