Poll
Question: Do you think the EHM feature where you can't build in midair adds challenge, or just hinders cool projects?
Remove it, it is a pointless nuisance - 4 (50%)
Keep it, the challenge it adds brings an interesting new dimension to interesting builds - 2 (25%)
I hate it, but i already had to suffer through it, now everyone else should too. - 2 (25%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Get Rid of the 'no build in midair'?  (Read 3993 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: October 20, 2014, 04:53:47 pm »

I am curious what peoples opinion on this one is
Lynnarock
Public

Alias: Lord-Ragnarock
Alias: Lynnch51

Arhemadan The Holy Pterodactyl God

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:11 pm »

I really don't care what happens to it, though I'd personally like to be able to build mid-air Smiley

With the large bridge I built last night (And the 6-block high wall that it joins to), it was just frustrating, though that let me think up a neat solution.

BRAAAAAAK!
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:56 am »

Locke_C built a squid in the air in this mode, and he never really got credit for the work it takes to do this.

Could we build sky cities without it sure, and this map is too small, but it's extra hard mode so my thought is YOU HAVE time people who complain of being bored, this adds more of a challenge, if removed people will build something quickly in the sky and not really appreciate the work it would have taken to do this before.

Just my thoughts, stuff should be made HARDER, not easier
Commander
Public

Alias: Pedro

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:49:57 am »

it's not fun making hundreds of pillars in the air just to place maybe 1 or 2 blocks at a time

not a challenge

more of a pest

can you imagine if you wanted to build a simple 50x50x1 platform in the air? you would have to pillar up and down 25 different times

cooler builds could be made if this 'feature' was removed, and it widens the range of possibilites for the average builder

☯ You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self, only then will your true self reveal itself.
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:29:10 pm »

It can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but I'm certainly used to it, and it has its upsides.

It is likely that it, in conjunction with not being able to build under your feet, reduces building-spam of tall, ugly structures, and maybe other forms of building-related griefing. I like that someone can't just log in, gather material for a couple hours, then put up a tower to 255 in 10 seconds. If you want it, you've got to work a little harder at it. People might say it's not that big a barrier, but I don't think I'm underestimating how lazy some people are ("If I can't do it in ten seconds of mindless effort, I'm not gonna bother"). Good. We don't want those people. I don't, anyway, and am willing to endure the inconvenience as a trade-off.

I personally don't find it very difficult to employ scaffolding or to build one floor at a time. It adds a couple minutes per floor at most. I can see how it might be more problematic for others.

I appreciate the spirit of this mechanic, and there might be a more interesting way to implement it somewhere between turning it off and leaving it on. I realize that any such middle ground would make more work for Int, though, and if off/on is the easiest fix, I understand. Anyway, some possibilities off the top of my head:

One block or type of block that can be built midair/underneath, which would increase the utility, if not value of that block. Once those blocks were in place, they could facilitate building, then be swapped out later with the intended blocks. So, kind of a hybrid between scaffolding/placeholder blocks and free-for-all.

One kind/category of block that, when you go more than halfway off it, you're still considered on it, and can place anything in midair.

You can build midair if there is already a block underneath the block you're trying to place (This would add convenience to building while preventing the making of no-effort, 1-block bridges across chasms).

You can build midair if the target block has at least one matching block adjacent to it (again, would add convenience to building structures, which tend to built of the same thing, but limit other uses, such as wood-planking across a stone/dirt chasm).

You can build midair while under the effect of a potion, golden carrot or golden apple. It would certainly give us something to do with gold. wink Or wearing boots with Feather Fall.

If the choice is off or on, I'd just leave it on. If it stays on, I'm willing to share scaffolding techniques. If it gets turned off, I'm sure I'll get over it. tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: