Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minecraft bought by microsoft, for 2.5 BILLION DOLLARS  (Read 6179 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: September 15, 2014, 11:28:49 pm »

WOW.. 2.5 billion dollars, i have to say i don't think minecraft is worth that much, so i would agree with mojang and notch, selling minecraft is probably the smartest thing hes ever done with it for himself personally.

As for what it could mean to the community, it has me concerned.

Best case scenario they mostly leave things as they are and try to make a bundle on merchandizing, movie rights? leverage the code/tech for a minecraft2 on windows only in C# with directX..

worst case scenario they try to shut down all of the private servers, shut down all of the modding and attempt to force everyone to use only them for hosting and charge some sort of monthly subscription to play online, and ontop of it setup a microtansasctions/pay-to-win scheme.... ruin the cross platform support, ruin the popularity of the game and implode the community and fanbase like they have done with other game acquisitions

In either scenario i will try to continue running the most up to date version of the server available on linux with modding support

...in other news, the bukkit/minecraft community are also still reeling from the disastrous implementation of the UUID account system, the sudden ambiguous and overreaching EULA enforcement threats, bukkit developers quitting, bukkit source code being DMCAed over copyright violations, thousands of death/rape threats to mod authors and minecraft authors, the swatting (false police reporting) against one of the former bukkit devs, mojangs deceptive tactics related to ownership of bukkit trademark and copyright.. and others..

it seems likely that the golden age of minecraft is long past, and that it may rapidly go downhill from here..

GOOD NEWS IS: 2.5 BILLION DOLLAR BUYOUT of a blocky voxel based game may provide massive incentivization to thousands of potential competitors to get INTO this genre, and invest heavily to bring us innovative new games of this sort for us to scratch that mining, crafting, and socializing itch

i am really hoping a competitor comes along with a much more advanced game engine (imagine minecraft meets skyrim) that we can eventually move to down the road

i really enjoy being a part of the voluntaryist gaming community that we have all helped build together online and i would like to see as many members remain active in it for as long as possible regardless of what game we are playing

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:57:47 am by Intangir » Logged
pigeonweed
Public

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:58:52 am »

I really hope Microsoft will play it smart and safe by leaving the existing minecraft communities alone. Given their history, I think there's a possibility that they'll change their subscription models which might potentially lead to closing down of private servers. I really hope they don't do that as it's a huge, HUGE mistake.

The only other game that can be compared to minecraft is Everquest Next (https://www.everquestnext.com/). The only real downside just as in any major MMO is the lack of giving developers freedom and ability to create their own worlds and run their own servers the way minecraft has.

SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:24:27 am »

I do think it will be a Microsoft end game, to make Minecraft more like WOW,
but may not be right away they would have to change a lot to get it to work that way, the big question will be will the mods get updated for 1.8?  I agree with Pigeonweed,  the ability for players to make their own worlds and share them with others makes Minecraft so appealing.

Commander
Public

Alias: Pedro

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 11:25:27 am »

RIP minecraft 2009-2014

☯ You must look within yourself to save yourself from your other self, only then will your true self reveal itself.
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:39:41 am »

[ author=Commander link=topic=2835.msg19049#msg19049 date=1410888327]
RIP minecraft 2009-2014
[/]

This is Minecraft. I think you mean RIP in peace.

But seriously... time will tell. Skype seems to have had more problems since MS bought it, but that's purely my anecdotal experience. It certainly seems reasonable to brace for monetization/IP/re-branding shenanigans.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:12:27 pm »

microsoft seems to have deliberately screwed up skype for linux

they released a 'new feature' that didn't actually add any new functionality

the windows version defaulted to a new 'cloud chat' for groups, while the linux version didn't support it

and the linux version wasn't updated for three months

then when it finally came out, the processor usage jumped way up, notifications don't work right, and it crashes more frequently, hangs the sound, and STILL doesn't do video on group chats, even if you pay extra

Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »

i am very suspicious and skeptical of microsofts management.. but actually i really hated mojangs management too.. who will be worse?? like shanghai says, only time will tell
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 11:54:17 pm »

brace yourself..

* 10649917_365025120289169_5645615427065331089_n.jpg (101.71 KB, 960x502 - viewed 1098 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: