Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WARNING: Possible ore loss from blast mining?  (Read 4496 times)
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« on: August 26, 2014, 03:56:27 pm »

It appears to me that TNT is now blowing up diamonds/ore dropped from the blocks it destroys.

I could be wrong. Apparently, it's supposed to have worked this way all along, but what I have observed is this: I used to find large diamond deposits (4-6) every few chunks, maybe every 30 minutes or so. Since the update, I've blasted tunnels hundreds of meters long over the course of several hours in the last couple days, using up more than a stack of TNT, and found only two diamond ore blocks.

If you're not finding diamonds, or any other ores, this might be why. Whatever experience you're having, please reply on this thread. I'm curious to know if it's just me, or not.

Intangir was online when I mentioned this, so he's investigating the issue and experimenting with a solution.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:37:53 am »

I still don't know why anything would have changed in this area, unless somehow internally the new version is handling multiple explosions by spacing them out somehow?? i don't know.

but already on 1.7.2 explosions could destroy items, and already on 1.7.2, extra hard mode sets off multiple explosions on TNT

but in any case, somehow it seems far more noticeable and problematic lately that explosions are destroying peoples items

so i hacked and hacked for hours until i found an interesting solution:

from now on, any items not intentionally dropped by a player will no longer be destroyed by fire, lava, or explosions, (they may appear to be burned up by fire because your client will assume they are destroyed, but they aren't, after the fire goes out or lava is removed, if you relog or reload the chunk, you will see the items, or if you just walk where the item would still be, you will pick it up)

this will also preserve peoples gear when they fall in lava, or die near a fire, just remove the lava, and even if you can't see the items, they can be picked up (relog/reloadchunk to see them)

if you intentionally drop the item it CAN be destroyed, so if you dump garbage in a fire, or cactus, or lava, it will be destroyed

items can also still despawn after 10 minutes

items can also be stolen by a pigman who runs off with them or something ridiculous, but that pigman can eventually still be found, and killed, and the items returned (monsters who pickup items shouldn't automatically despawn even in vanilla)

OF NOTE CONCERNING TNT MINING:

TNT mining has 30% yield, so if you SEE a vein, and you want to collect that ore, don't blow it up, or you have a 70% chance of destroying it

extra hard mode mining ALSO can LAUNCH blocks, even ore blocks, they will go flying, sometimes those blocks will be destroyed when they land (if they land on an unflat area for example they seem to usually just be removed) i think this loss is in addition to the 70% loss off the top? but maybe its not, either way..

so .. if you want to increase your yield per area, you will want to avoid using TNT until you have thoroughly mined out any dirt, gravel, or ore veins, and any other veins that are exposed while your at it

quick and dirty fast TNT mining may be simple, and quicker, but it is also more wasteful, and will remain so

-----
this change should alleviate the concern that dropped blocks are being blown up by subsequent explosions, and avoid people losing their gear to falling in lava or dying in fire
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:45:30 am »

This change also effects chicken eggs, and item drops from monsters and animals, and items dropped from droppers and dispensers

if you want an item to be destroyed, the only way to deliberately do it now, is toss it manually from your inventory into fire/lava/cactus, or wait for it to despawn

if you have any gadgets that try to dispose of junk by expelling it onto a cactus, that will no longer work (far as i know, no one does this though) so instead of doing that, save it to a junk chest, and dump it out manually later.. its a small inconvenience for all of the benefit
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:47:18 am »

If anyone sees any unexpected bugs with this please tell me, i tested it out in all the ways i could think of and it seems fine, (except for the clientside getting confused, can't fix that) but this is a change that could potentially effect many things i haven't considered..

it shouldn't effect the actual dropped item itself, just the temporary 'dropped_item' entity that 'holds' it
The_Shanghai_Kid
Public

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:07:15 am »

Much obliged, Int. When I mentioned the issue, I didn't even realize you were on. I have always respected your preference of not lodging complaints in game, and I only mentioned it to let people know to watch their blast mining results carefully. I appreciate that you addressed the issue right away.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:05:21 pm »

ya i had already been trying to figure out a way to save items from blowing up before because you lost your stuff the other day, i didn't even realize that was possible

then i had to wonder how it was it hadn't happened before given that the TNTs blow up multiple times in EHM

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: