Poll
Question: Global or Ranged chat?
Global - 7 (77.8%)
Ranged - 2 (22.2%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Global or Ranged Chat?  (Read 6210 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: February 09, 2014, 08:41:15 pm »

Well as shystan and his gang of idiotic trolls have proven the default global chat and global death announcement range is vulnerable to some pretty annoying trolling/harassment bullshit

Now we are basically forced to choose between allowing global chat/announcements and putting up with potential trollers/harassers/idiots who will abuse it, like shitstain or instead limiting chat/announce range to local ranges, and losing out on global chat, global awareness of deaths, global joins/parts

I am going to open it up to a vote

global chat is less realistic but allows for a tighter knit server wide community, and for us to notice when new players are being attacked or are joining, and welcome or help them.

ranged chat would minimize the disruption caused by idiots, is more realistic, might encourage people making cities closer together, makes distance a bigger factor in the game. can also be used to help you narrow in on someone who is being a jackass

feel free to share your thoughts on the thread
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:44:08 pm by Intangir » Logged
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:41:54 pm »

If we are going to stay with global i am going to be more strict on preventing people from using global chat for harassment/trolling/griefing, with bans

i have a term in the rules that says extreme cases are bannable, and they will be taken seriously..
numia12
Public

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:00:05 pm »

I think global should continue to be the default. I have greatly enjoyed the little bit of community that I have encountered thus far in multiplayer minecraft and I feel that it would be detrimental to that aspect of the game if local range only was the standard setting. I agree that people should be banned if they abuse that aspect of the game as there is absolutely no reason to behave like a damn barn animal on a game that is supposed to be creative and fun. Ban the violators...fun to all the rest!
pigeonweed
Public

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 09:19:34 pm »

I have share numia's sentiments. In future, perhaps it's necessary to establish a code of conduct expected so that people who intentionally want to grief won't constantly test the waters.
vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:24:17 pm »

I would sacrifice global chat for freedom of speech if that's what you're suggesting.

Stay Determined.
numia12
Public

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:10 pm »

Well freedom of speech is one thing...being a jackass and making the game not fun for other people and generally being a douche is another. You be a jerk you get banned. Have warnings set in place and have the community give feedback when someone is pushing something too far...keep pushing and get banned. Seems pretty simple.
Spanone
Public

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:55:10 pm »

I agree with vbelac.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:41 pm »

for real, you have a right to speak, but you don't have a right to be heard

in real life you can't shout across the entire world and force everyone to sort through the nonsense your spamming to hear what they actually want to hear

Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:26:10 pm »

you also don't have a right to tresspass into peoples homes to shout at them about your cumshot swords
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 12:37:21 am »

I do think it would be a shame to lose the global chat because of a one or two people.  It has been helpful for new player getting set up, even if they srvive on theri own they ask about protection or just info in general, if they heard people trading they go hey i wanna trade to, so I think the system is not an issue here.  Numia's comment sums it up, but please leave global chat if possible
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 01:16:17 am »

i added a local chat mode that people can use optionally or if they lose global chat privilege

http://mc.intangir.org/index.php?topic=2651.msg18404#msg18404

i also added an /ignore command to ignore harassers
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 04:34:55 pm »

i think ill probably add a way to optionally ignore ALL global chat as well..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: