Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Theories of justice regarding prison pearls  (Read 3842 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: February 03, 2014, 11:50:23 pm »

In my view, the prison pearl is a powerful tool that is not to be taken lightly, it can be used justly, and to assist in the pursuit of justice, but it can also be used unjustly, as a tool of injustice.

In my view there are only two reasonable and just ways to use this tool

1. to temporarily capture someone who:
1a. is running from justice, who knows what they did is wrong, and will otherwise refuse to make repayment for their damages
1b. is considered a temporary threat, someone who is in the act of doing something likely harmful or temporarily harmful.

2. to permanently imprison someone who refuses to respect the rights of others fundamentally, and openly refuses to alter their behavior. someone who thinks they have the right to take from and kill others. persistent, reoccurant serious threats

i consider any other uses, misuses, and violations of the non aggression principle

justice is everyone getting what they deserve

if someone does harm, their victim deserves repayment. anything beyond that i consider unnecessary escalation of violence

If you see any reason i should reconsider or consider other factors/points, share them
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:52:59 pm by Intangir » Logged
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:50:30 pm »

#freeshystan
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:57:16 pm »

you can call it 'just your opinion' but i think it is pretty firmly based in reason

someone who does temporary minor harm, who has already had more property taken from him than he harmed in the first place, is not in anyones debt anymore, and unless he is making threats to do so again or is a repeat SERIOUS offender, he shouldn't be considered a serious persistent threat

pearl him, hold him until those who have damage claims can be made whole, and let him go.

repeatedly being a minor nuisance who does very little or NO harm is not a serious persistent threat deserving permanent imprisonment

i think capturing him, and repossessing all of his loot, giving none of it to the victims isn't justice at all

Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:34 am »

arbitrary punishments and sentences don't make any sense to me, they are arbitrary

the only level of 'punishment' that is justifiable is reparation, anything else is an escalation of force and arbitrary, if it isn't agreed to ahead of time, it is a violation of someones natural rights

no one has a right to indefinitely detain someone without equally serious risk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: