Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Test map going on live, merry christmas  (Read 4948 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: December 25, 2012, 11:54:51 am »

im putting a slimmed down creative mode test install with a new custom map up on the live server and main port

the live server has been pretty dead lately with the news that we will restart soon anyway

remember alot of the mods we use for survival won't be included, including prison pearl. a few of the most regular players will temporarily have ops for testing, if they aren't on and their is a spamming situation going on just use /ignore

please explore the new biomes, both above and under ground and report anything of particular interest (both good and bad) remember the final map won't have the same layout so don't bother with stuff like marking diamond or biome locations
cBameron
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 12:33:02 pm »

I'm testing it right now. How would you like for me to report?

I'm taking screenshots of what I find, and I keep receiving "You've reached the edge of this world." messages. I've also got one very pretty instance of a lava lake a large, burning tree.
I spawned in a mine, underground, with a chest with a few items in it. Forgot to get my coords for that spawn.
Also, I don't have permission to speak global, through whisper, or emote on the server.
Thanks, and Merry Christmas! And that being said, it's Christmas, so I don't expect a response today. Smiley

-cBameron

Edit: Clarified my lack of speaking ability.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:46:18 pm by cBameron » Logged
vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 02:34:11 pm »

Ohmigosh this place is BEAUTIFUL! check out these screen shots, I found an ice/snow mountain and the top side of it is even more amazing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Stay Determined.
cBameron
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 02:57:00 pm »

Couple of notes so far, though I must caveat that I am not a cartographer or Minecraft veteran first.

The surface lava doesn't seem to burn down the forests, but it certainly clears out a few trees around it on average when the chunk is first drawn.

There are a great deal of ice mountains in the large snow biome north of the spawn. I understand the world will change, but I think ice mountains look neat.

The snow biome seems enormous. I flew for probably 10 minutes north and then turned around, went south, flying at cloud level for about 20 minutes before I hit rainforest. It's a very large area. As a noob to MC, I don't know what people feel the optimal size of a biome is, especially for multiplayer. I think the standard map biomes are obviously too small and overlapped. I enjoyed on this map how large sections of desert get snow, I think that is an effective use of overlapping biome weather. I do wonder if these are too large though. Like I said, I'm just exploring around so this is a very early opinion.

The rainforest... What I'm calling it because there are vines in the trees and it was raining when I got there. The rainforest is pretty. The tree designs are excellent, looks like a lovely place to build. I can see some massive tree mansions in those treetops.

More thoughts later.

[attachment deleted by admin]
vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 04:39:12 pm »

Noting a glitch, the natural glowstone in the Forest Cave biome doesn't light up.

Stay Determined.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 04:51:36 pm »

ya i noticed that. i am giong to see if theres a way for it to recalculate lighting before you get there

it actually has the same problem by default on normal minecraft maps too, like torches in mineshafts dont cast light often, but it is more noticable on these new biomes
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 10:56:28 pm »

ok so we have noticed alot of issues, report any more you see any any of these threads (i have one in the chat forum with an enumerated list)

im going to hammer these down, and go thru a checklist of other tasks we need before going live

then in a day or two well roll another test iteration. as soon as we have a test iteration that is looking pretty good, we can go live. hopefully we won't find any devastating issues after going live Wink that would suck, but it is a potential risk with such drastic changes!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: