Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server getting massive upgrades  (Read 4724 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: February 27, 2013, 02:33:50 pm »

I have just about finished doing massive upgrades to the server

it has 4 times more processing power
and 8 times more ram Smiley

i have also setup a virtualization hypervisor (i think its called) on the machine to host any number of virtual machines

i am going to use all this extra processing power to offer new game modes and old iterations of the world map all at once

the upgrade to the server should not actually be noticeable at all to the current world. if you notice any issues let me know

brainlesszombie5
Public

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:59:23 pm »

So we are also getting the old map back too? grin

A man like me just needs infinity
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 11:09:33 pm »

yea thats part of the plan

Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 01:11:56 am »

the server upgrades are finished now
they actually went alot smoother than i thought they would

ran into a huge issue (one of the raid disks 'faulted out' of the array, and then somehow wouldnt go back in, its size mysteriously was altered.. i had to repartition and resync it..

it didnt effect the server uptime but for a while alot of my personal data was in jeopardy ;(

the server data is backed up on other drives (non raided)

for the most part though everything went surprisingly well!

the new hardware is significantly improved and will allow me to experiment with isolated instances of minecraft servers that i can try out different game types on

ill also be able to bring back some of the old maps, but alot of the associated database data is gone, so citadel protections, and precious stone protections are gone.. ill introduce a new simpler protection scheme for the old servers so that people can reclaim their old stuff, may even mark them off myself before opening it up, i am pretty sure i remember whos stuff belonged to who Wink

i also want to offer a few other game types, like a creative mode, an even more challenging survival mode that focuses on caving, exploring

i am going to try and link them all together in a seamless way so you cant even tell that they are seperate servers

chatting and portaling will hopefully allow seamless travel between them

alot of this is very uncertain but these are some of the directions i want to explore for the server/community to hopefully help us grow and attract more interesting people to game/chat with

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:16:08 am by Intangir » Logged
Shaman
Public

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 01:16:15 am »

does the upgrade include that awesome multi-level forest cave?

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:38:33 am »

no we already had that before

its been in since new years
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: