Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Server is dead lately...  (Read 8109 times)
Intangir
Global Moderator

« on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:35 pm »

the server is dying, it seems like all the good players get chased off by jackasses..

unfortunately the types of players we are finding using our current advertising methods tend to be obnoxious jerks who cause trouble and scare off the nice players

and the nicer and/or more creative players are too clueless or poor to protect their stuff with the citadel mod

I designed the server and its mods to parallel real life scarcity, incentivizations, security concerns, and social interactions... the problem is the players that we find don't even remotely parallel how people actually act in real life, can you imagine if 80% of the people in real life were completely psychotic psychopathic suicidal homicidal maniacs hell bent at causing grief with a delusional sense of indestructibility?

i'm guessing most of the considerate players tend to find a server they like and stay there. and the jackasses get banned and are constantly browsing for new servers (these are the players we most frequently find apparently)

with that in mind i intend to once again.. make some changes to adapt.

1. at least until it becomes a problem, i am going to re-enable global chat.
2. im going to either make citadel provide a weak free default protection. or switch to a completely different protection mod (probably the first one)
3. i'm considering bringing back the old worlds somehow.. not sure how or if ill be able to include them but if it pleases people and it boosts player activity i am going to try and include it

basically i am planning to shift away from more realism and challenge, to more people pleasing and fun and ease of play, i still want the non aggression principle and voluntaryism to factor in but given the stupidity and obnoxiousness of so many of the short term griefers who frequent our server.. something must be done
Spanone
Public

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »

I agree that it has been pretty dead lately.

I would like to say that I really like citadel and don't want to change from it. Additionally, I think all changes made to bring up activity should be temporary. In the event the server begins to get popular, I think the current settings are a good choice.

Also, I think that the survival servers section of the "minecraftforums" would be a good place to advertise. Due to them being forums, if any user of this server makes a post there it will be sent back to the front page. I know that when I used to play on other good servers that I thought should have more people and had mc forum pages I would make a post once every 1-2 days there to try to get new people. I think some others might be willing to do this aswell.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/45-survival-servers/
vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:14:54 pm »

Sounds interesting. I'm sorry I haven't been on much lately, but the fact that we're pretty much entirely separated from new players and a few of our veteran players not being active means low population in NH, and thus few people to do fun things with. We need some way to get new members for the city, talking over global chat can create relationships with more players, who could potentially become invite-worthy. Unless you make a way for us to digitally reproduce our own population, there isn't really any other way to increase our population.

Stay Determined.
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:56:33 pm »

ya global chat might revert back to ranged if it becomes heavy chat

im also adding the radios and radio chat channels (radio chat channels might not be in right away, but beacons are nearly done)

also im working on a modification to citadel to make it provide a basic level of protection even if your not fortifying, youll also be able to reinforce with nothing (air) and it will provide minor protection to already placed blocks

im also going to boost the default protection levels
air: 10
stone: 50
iron: 500
diamond: 2500

i may even make it retroactive

i may also disable placing protected blocks onto another persons protected blocks that you don't have access too, so that additive placement for greifing wont work as well, it will at least give you some space to get around your own buildings and to prevent blocking up doorways
Hterag
Public

Alias: Hteragareth

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:57:20 am »

Sad times indeed. I've been a little inactive myself but would the changes you're proposing affect existing fortified buildings? I mean, would my skyscraper get, "upgraded"?

Also, could you possibly add another level between iron and diamond? Perhaps use obsidian or gold for 1000? Obsidian is perhaps a bit too plentiful and gold would suddenly go up in value so any other ideas?

I really understand how people feel about the fact we're so disconnected from new players and all the griefers coming in etc. I always assumed that we'd eventually get to a point where we have enough protection in the city and it wouldn't even matter if griefers found us because there'd always be people on to sort them out.

EDIT: Removed the second version of my idea which was also flawed...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 03:07:04 am by Hterag » Logged
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 03:15:59 am »

i decided not to change the existing protection levels yet afterall

i may still do it..  but actually when people USE the protections the griefing is practically eliminated except for the case where everyone moved and left the shop chests unattended for such a long time

the guys who broke in and stole everything though actually had to build up their resources over time, and played enough that they could effectively be pursued/captured and asked to provide repairation

also i added a new default level of protection for newbs..
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »

You said you might bring back old map areas?
Do you mean like the underground city?  or mesa point or atlantis?

I really think limited stargates would be cool.

People used to come on because we had stargates and no other server did,
it was interesting.

Just a thought
Shaman
Public

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:27:10 am »

Hi... I was invited from Facebook. Other than a limited run in WURM, I've never played a game like this before. However I'm very interested in building an operating temple complex in this world if that's okay...

My usual architecture work is in google sketchup:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/162758_1481739975659_7824292_n.jpg

1.) How do I get started playing this game?

2.) Is there any major difference between the demo and the full version? I doubt I'll ever have $30 to spare (without committing a felony or a government job*); being that I'm in the tax bracket where I don't have to pay income taxes.

* I've been offered high-paying jobs as a translator for the state department and as an organic ciphertext analyst for the CIA, both of which I declined on principle. I'd rather be poor than be a part of society's disease. On the bright side: if I get into this game, I can create a conlang specifically for this community to effectively make you into an internet micronation... which you kind of are already, but a language of your own is like putting a bow on a wrapped present.

~Shaman

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:19:26 am »

@Shaman, you should take one of those jobs and try to screw up their system as much as possible

Stay Determined.
Shaman
Public

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:04:13 pm »

[ author=vbelac link=topic=2424.msg16888#msg16888 date=1361895566]
@Shaman, you should take one of those jobs and try to screw up their system as much as possible
[/]

I'm not keen on becoming the next Bradley Manning. My primary religion also sees oaths and sincerity as more important than human lives. So I would be in bad standing with my Gods for taking an oath I intended to break.

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »

this should be interesting

you can play for free though, but you need a friend (or to find a download) to install it first

then log in with some commands that are posted on here someplace for 'offline' mode
anoddhue
Public

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 11:55:02 am »

I haven't been on lately largely due to travel and work taking over my life the past few weeks.

That said, I agree that the new areas such as NH need a way to vet newer players. Perhaps we should invite people who post on the forums here via PM since most griefers seem to just hop on from reddit or where ever and destroy what seems to them to be an abandoned city. The distance from spawn and amount of powerful veteran players in NH should be enough to fend off anyone who gets into our good graces but is a griefer.

Without having more players, NH will continue to seem half-finished and mostly-empty, and having a shopkeeper (one of the most innovative mods this server has) is nearly useless if no one is around to buy anything.

As far as the stargates/multiple worlds idea, perhaps adding a semi-secret location with a gate to the previous world would be interesting.

Shaman
Public

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:16:59 pm »

[ author=anoddhue link=topic=2424.msg16917#msg16917 date=1361987702]
I haven't been on lately largely due to travel and work taking over my life the past few weeks.

That said, I agree that the new areas such as NH need a way to vet newer players. Perhaps we should invite people who post on the forums here via PM since most griefers seem to just hop on from reddit or where ever and destroy what seems to them to be an abandoned city. The distance from spawn and amount of powerful veteran players in NH should be enough to fend off anyone who gets into our good graces but is a griefer.

Without having more players, NH will continue to seem half-finished and mostly-empty, and having a shopkeeper (one of the most innovative mods this server has) is nearly useless if no one is around to buy anything.

As far as the stargates/multiple worlds idea, perhaps adding a semi-secret location with a gate to the previous world would be interesting.
[/]

In my temple proposal thread I had some anti-griefer suggestions involving stargates. Specifically a multiple choice sort of thing where one goes to the city but the others drop the player off into difficult situations far-far-far away.

anoddhue
Public

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 05:33:04 pm »

Yeah, I've thought about griefer traps as well, but it seems that the best option is to build something hidden or far away and/or protect your stuff using the mods. That said, your lava idea was clever.

Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 06:10:13 pm »

hey anoddue, where've you been? havent seen you lately
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: