Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good evening, from a new participant.  (Read 6101 times)
Estelore
Public

« on: May 28, 2013, 04:21:09 am »

Hallo, everybody; I had the curious pleasure of playing on your server today. I'd been looking for some time for a server to suit my preferences, and finding one that not only does, but is run by voluntaryist anarchs, has brought a real grin to my face.

I found the server through the reddit thread; I've upvoted it.

Now, since flat introductory threads leave something to be desired, I'll offer a story, only mildly dramatised.

My first spawn found me in a bizarre biome- at a glance, it appeared to be ordinary treeless plains, but greater exploration proved that these 'plains' were littered with massive holes.

When I say 'holes,' I don't mean sinkholes or ravines. I mean ginormous frakking 160-tile diameter pits with jungle vines and 40-tile-wide waterfalls spilling down into them, from Y 252 to lake level at Y 64.

No matter how far I walked in any direction, the biome seemed interminable, so I decided to ride one of the waterfalls to the bottom. At the time that I did this, due to my computer's lag and short render distance, I could not see the bottom of the falls. I could only hope that if I controlled my fall, taking breaths every so often before diving back into the waterfall, that there would be a safe place to land at the bottom. Once I reached the bottom, I could no longer see the top of the falls at all. A single massive oak, laden with vines, coiled up one wall of the pit. The other walls were speckled with five of the largest glowstone veins I've ever seen. My first glowstone harvest produced more than 10 full stacks.

Eventually I made my way over to the narrow stretch of dirt along the lake's edge. Earlier foresight while in the plains section meant that I had six wheat seeds and three pieces of raw oak. I used the oak to create a crafting bench and pick, and with the pick I got enough cobble for furnaces and a hoe. By this point, I was on the brink of starvation, so I used the hoe on the meager adjacent dirt and set up my first tiny wheat farm. Lacking enough wood now to build a chest, I instead built half a dozen furnaces, and I used these as storage for my glowstone. After awhile, my wheat finished growing, and I made my first bread. This saved me from starvation, so my next mission was to obtain more wood, and above all, to obtain saplings. I climbed up the pit wall with extreme caution, until I reached the giant oak that wound up its face. Behind the oak, I found another pit, an area rich with iron and enemy mobs. I hurriedly obtained my wood and prepared a dirt 'diving board' to make my descent back to the lake.

I miscalculated the safety of the fall, and my computer lagged out just as I made the leap. When I logged back in, my avatar had stricken land instead of water, dying instantly.

I found this frankly to be confounding: where first this biome had frustrated and even angered me (for how was I to escape these sheer cliffs, on such limited resources? How was I to find civilization? I came here to be a librarian and set up book exchanges, and I was spawned so remotely!), now it bothered me that I had respawned far from it. Such effort had gone into scraping together this tiny settlement, and I'd be damned if it was going to be wasted!

I remembered, within about an error of 700, where the X and Z for my homestead were.
I remembered the exact look of the biome.

I suicided my avatar over and over, no doubt calling down a bemused eye from anybody else online at the time. Several times I respawned in a mushroom biome; several times I was in some kind of extreme oak forest. Whether by drowning, enemy mobs, magma, or spectacular swan-dives off the sides of buildings and cliffs, I found a way out of every respawn.

Finally, success! I found the biome again, perhaps twelve attempts later. I found the colossal waterfall. I wrote down the coordinates to be more certain of them, and then I began the descent.

No luck this time: unfortunate lag caused me to hit turf instead of surf.

My luck did hold up in another way: fewer than seven more attempts found me once again within a forty-tile jog of the waterfall. Along the way, I found the inventory drop of some poor schlub who had died nearby mere minutes before. I harvested his drop and made this descent more delicately, and finally I was home! This time I had wood with me, and more seeds. I planted and harvested and constructed chests for everything. I securely stowed the inventory drop, just in case I meet that person someday.

Now all I need are three wool, or twelve string, and I can establish a permanent settlement here at X 20407, Y 64, Z 10886. If anybody cares to pay a visit, do take care and bring plenty of ladders and dirt for pillaring upward: it is much harder to get out of the pit than to get into it!

Furthermore, if anybody cares to bring sugarcane, melon, pumpkin, cactus, carrot, potato, leather, and/or 3 wool or 12 string, I am willing to pay generously with glowstone or whatever other local resources you find desirable. At this Y-level, the pit has an abundance of redstone as well as glowstone, and there are several hostile-mob-rich caves for exploring. I welcome peaceful neighbours and traders.

It is a pleasure to meet you all! ^_^
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:40:45 pm »

sounds like fun Wink sorta hehe

its too bad about your computer/lag issues Sad that biome is really demanding on the hardware, even on my computer it used to cause me bad framerates

we call that the forest cave biome, theres actually a huge city in the south/eastern part of the biome, we call it eleftheria.

maybe ill come visit you

some of the other biomes might be much easier on your hardware btw (savanah and pumpkin plains biomes are really simple), also make sure to get optifine if you don't already have it

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-152-optifine-hd-d3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/

it should drastically improve your framerates
Intangir
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:40:59 pm »

and welcome!
Estelore
Public

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »

Thanks for the assist and the welcome. Smiley
vbelac
Public

Alias: vbelac - Steam
Alias: (◕‿◕✿)

jorts are cruise control for a swanky life

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »

Welcome! glad to have another member in the community.

Stay Determined.
Shaman
Public

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 06:15:48 pm »

I have a mine in that biome actually... about 300 blocks from the top of your waterfall. I tried to dig down and out. It turns out that that particular chunk is a sky island. I tried to suicide in order to explore, and even on far render, you can't see the bottom of those pits... I landed in water. Go figure. I ended up traveling to Forest Island where I built a huge base. My current home is in Yomi, but I maintain secondary bases in Forest Island, Forge, New Haven, New Oasis, New Haven Bay, Dragon's Perch, a Mushroom Island. I also maintain a number of lighthouses, small caches, and shelters.

Lighthouses are placed in remote areas to act as landmarks and safe resting spots for sailors that arrive at night. They often have a plaque on them stating "Shaman's Lighthouse #_".  "_" being a number between 1-8 at the moment. Some are more elaborate than others. For example, the one off the coast of Orange Island is the tallest. (I needed to make room in my inventory so I used 6-8 stacks of cobblestone. It was a while ago so I don't remember exactly.)

If you need to know where civilization is nearby, drop me a line. I keep records of important coords.

\\\"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now.\\\" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh<br /><br />My Craft Business:<br />http://luckycatcrafts.zohosites.com/Home.html
Estelore
Public

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 09:04:37 pm »

Thanks for the offer; I may just take you up on that. Smiley
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:04:49 pm »

Please visit Elefetheria as well, people are building homes there it is a cool mountain city, really cool floating mountains, waterfalls. and vines......
Estelore
Public

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 01:30:03 am »

I'll have to look into it after I get a new mouse. The one I'd been using stopped working. ><
SavanahMile
Public

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 07:11:28 am »

have not seen you on did you get a new mouse?
anoddhue
Public

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:47 pm »

I've been playing on touchpad since I forgot my mouse (on vacation currently).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: